This post contains affiliate links.
Blogging can be a great way to earn an income from home. Many people wonder if the market is saturated or if blogging is dead. Can you really make money blogging? The answer is, YES! As someone who has been a professional blogger, earning a full-time income from home for over 15 years, I can tell you that there are so many different ways to make money blogging.
Finding a work at home job that is a great fit for your personal circumstances can be a challenge. There are lots of work at home jobs out there but in order to succeed, you need one that works well for your family situation.
I started blogging as a hobby when my second son was born. I never expected to earn any money from it. At first, I started to earn a few dollars here and a few dollars there, but as my blog grew and I learned how to monetize my blog traffic, I was able to eventually create a full-time income, solely from my blog, that supported my family of 8.
If you enjoy writing and have an interest in learning the technical details that come along with blogging, it may be a great fit for you.
Before we get into the details, you need to know a few things:
- Blogging is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It takes a lot of initial time and effort before you will earn a penny.
- Blogging is competitive. That’s a common complaint I hear from new bloggers. There IS room for new blogs, but you do need to have passion for your topic, be willing to work hard and have something valuable to say.
- You will have to invest some money. I never recommend spending very much money before you make a profit, but you will have to invest a little bit in order to get a blog going. If you play it smart, you won’t be investing a lot until you have income from your blog, but you will need a blog hosting account and possibly a paid WordPress template.
Can you Really Make Money Blogging?
Blogging is just like anything else, if you treat it like a business you are more likely to be profitable. There is a huge need for high-quality content. If you post content people are interested in, you’ll have traffic to your blog that you can monetize.
How do you make money blogging?
Bloggers can earn an income through a huge variety of ways. You do not have to utilize all of these but I would recommend diversifying your blog income as much as you can in order to keep your income consistent.
You can earn money blogging:
- Sponsored posts
- Ad revenue
- Affiliate sales
- Digital product sales
- Physical product sales
- eBook sales
- Course sales
- Public speaking appearances
- In-Person Bootcamps/conferences
- MLM sales
- Paid membership programs
- Paid spokesperson
- Virtual assistant work
- SEO optimization
- YouTube channel ads
- Paid social media shares
The possibilities are endless. Your blog is simply a platform that allows you to build an audience. Once you have an audience that trusts you, you can get creative an earn an income with the methods that are the best fit for your business.
To get started, you’ll need to set up a hosting account. We recommend BlueHost for beginning bloggers. They are super affordable and you have the option to upgrade to a higher BlueHost plan down the road or transfer to another hosting company if your traffic grows to the point that you need a different option.